Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Jordbruksdagarna - September 27 & 28 Fabulous Family Fun


These last few months I've been delinquent in posting the current events of Bishop Hill. For the first time in nearly a decade I planted a huge garden filled with familiar floral friends and lots of new ones. I am a decade older now and a decade slower. Ouch. Our new patch of land was acquired last year and is conveniently located right next door to our family home on the west edge of Bishop Hill. What fun it has been easing back into the soil!
As much of this new garden is harvested and winterized, I plan to turn my attention back to filling this page with reports and insights into rural life I hope you find interesting. Living and working in Bishop Hill remains a great joy so more accounts on a variety of related projects and subjects will follow soon.
But for now, I offer my apologies to readers looking here for up-to-the-minute info regarding Bishop Hill. Instead, I direct you to these sources: Check out the Old Settles' Blog, the Arts Council Blog, and the BHHA website for all sorts of Bishop Hill activities and updates.
One of Bishop Hill's most important events in terms of attendance and permanence is our harvest festival. Since 1972, on the last weekend in September, Bishop Hill has celebrated Jordbruksdagarna (youd-brooks-DAH-ga-na), which is Swedish for "Earth Work Days." It was reported in this year's press release as hard to pronounce but easy to enjoy! So true.



As my family grows and grand-kids extend our circle, I find myself particularly grateful to be able to share this entertaining educational experience with them. I encourage others to do the same. Check out these hands-on kid-friendly activities behind the Colony Hotel this weekend: They include sorghum pressing and cooking, corn shelling, brick making, corn husk doll making and apple cider pressing. The Burns Boosters 4-H club will host a petting zoo in the Park, Saturday 10am to 4pm and Sunday 10am to 4pm. 


Bring the family! Exposing children to our rich past in this manner is the best way to ensure these traditions are upheld and carried on!